Senior Substation Engineer
- WVPA Corporate Office - Transmission & Regulatory Affairs Department
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Competitive Compensation and Benefits Package
Wabash Valley Power Association (WVPA) is a not-for-profit electric cooperative and wholesale provider of electricity to our owner-members. Headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, we were created out of the need for reliable, affordable electricity in America's heartland. Our members are 23 electric distribution cooperatives (which makes us a co-op of co-ops), and their members include over 300,000 homes, businesses and farms in Indiana, Illinois and Missouri. As a not-for-profit co-op, our members are our owners, so we aren't influenced by shareholders and old practices. We are guided by the seven cooperative principles that govern all co-ops and values that are important to us, like teamwork and putting family first. We are a Deliberately Different kind of power provider- built for stability and growth and focused on the future. And that's good news for the people and businesses who depend on us.
Not only has WVPA grown to serve the wholesale power needs of local distribution cooperatives in a three-state area, we are founding members of Touchstone Energy®, the National Renewables Cooperative Association (NRCO), and ACES, one of the nation's largest electricity traders. But we're not finished setting the pace, in fact, we are just getting started. And that's why we need bright, hard-working people who share our commitment to our members and to shaping the future. To learn more about us, visit wvpa.com.
This position provides Transmission & Distribution facilities with engineering services required by Wabash Valley Power Association and the Member Systems.
The Senior Substation Engineer will be responsible for:
• Provides engineering services for the Member Systems on various matters including substation design, coordination studies, AutoCAD services, specifications and compliance, equipment specification and purchase, cost estimating, budget preparation, permitting, public hearings, relay and control design.
• Designs, supervises, and/or reviews the design of the Transmission & Distribution substations including preparing specifications, supervising the bidding and selection process, and construction inspection and management.
• Determines the need for Transmission & Distribution facilities to satisfy Wabash Valley Power Policies. Provides the required facilities with Wabash Valley's power supply arrangements.
• Provides engineering review and assistance for Wabash Valley's Transmission & Distribution agreements with current power suppliers, as well as any future agreements in this regard.
• Procures land and easements for Wabash Valley's Transmission & Distribution construction projects, and assists the general counsel in the completion and recording of the documentation required for said easements.
• Lead Engineer responsible for new departmental standards and specification development and review.
• May supervise entry-level Substation Engineers on a per project basis.
• May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
• Strong project management ability: Able to develop and implement plans that are effective in attaining established goals; garners resources and defines processes to complete projects; manages progress and implements mid-stream changes, as needed.
• Problem solving ability: Able to apply systems thinking to generate solutions; focuses on process rather than isolated events; obtains multiple assessments of a situation and identifies trouble spots; evaluates alternative solutions.
• Excellent communication skills: Able to clearly present information through the spoken or written word; reads and interprets complex information; conveys information effectively; listens well.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited university preferred; background in Structural Engineering considered.
• 7+ years of practical substation (12 kV through 161 kV) experience required.
• Professional Engineer license or the ability to obtain licensure required.
• AutoCAD experience required.
• Experience with CDEGS grounding software preferred.
CULTURE AND BENEFITS:
At Wabash Valley Power we have diverse employment opportunities such as information technology, accounting, marketing, engineering and operations. Our company is big enough to provide training and professional development to further your career goals, yet small enough that you can maintain a personal connection with fellow employees. Employees are our most valuable assets, so we put employees first by offering an excellent benefits package, wellness benefits, and we throw in some fun activities along the way. Learn about us and the rest of our values when you apply online at wvpa.com.