Manager of Field Operations
- WVPA Corporate Office - Transmission & Regulatory Affairs Department
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Comprehensive Benefit Package
Wabash Valley Power Association (WVPA) is an electric cooperative headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. WVPA generates and transmits wholesale electricity to 23 distribution cooperatives in Indiana, and Missouri that reaches over 300,000 homes and businesses. WVPA has grown to serve the wholesale power needs of local distribution cooperatives in a three-state area and is a member of the PJM Interconnection (PJM) and the Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO) and a founding member of Touchstone Energy®. WVPA also provides a broad variety of business services such as technical services, economic development, engineering and marketing/communications to help its member systems better leverage their own resources and benefit from joint efforts with other nearby co-ops.
The purpose of this position is to be a hands-on manager that directs and manages the field staff and engineering processes related to maintaining a fully functional Energy Management System (EMS), Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) System, and the regulatory environment related to NERC ((North American Electric Reliability Corporation), RF (Reliability First Corporation) and SERC Reliability Corporation including, but not limited to, Cyber Security, Protection Systems and to provide technology support and assistance to Member Systems.
The Manager of Field Operations will be responsible for:
• Supervises technical employees that maintain and repair field EMS, SCADA, and sub-station equipment that supports WVPA business and technical goals. Serves as a backup NERC support representative as it relates to the NERC reliability standard implementation and processes.
• Provides support to all Wabash Valley Power remote data gathering systems and facilities. Works with Member Systems, WVPA Engineering to assist in SCADA development/support/standardization, distribution automation, and general SCADA technology needs.
• Assists Executive Vice President of Transmission Services Regulatory Services with corporate and strategic planning. This involves keeping abreast of new engineering and SCADA technologies by planning and coordinating the research, analysis, evaluation and possible implementation of new technologies that support Wabash Valley's corporate goals and objectives.
• Participates with Transmission Services management team by preparing the Field Services department's portion of the division budget and closely monitoring and approving expenditures throughout the fiscal year. This involves ensuring field systems are vendor supported by maintaining contractual agreements for maintenance, support, and upgrades and acquiring and maintaining necessary licensing.
• Participates with Transmission Services management team in researching, planning and implementing major initiatives of the division.
• Works closely with Substation Maintenance, Metering, and Engineering to provide for and schedule field engineering assistance on an as-needed basis.
• May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
• Strong leadership skills: Able to assume a role of authority, as necessary; sets an example for coworkers; delegates responsibility and empowers associates to make decisions and take personal accountability for decisions.
• Advanced analytical and technological skills: Able to gather relevant data using appropriate methodologies and analyze that data in such a manner that valid conclusions and insinuations can be drawn that assist in making important business decisions; embraces technology; appreciates and understands a high level of complexity, technology and innovation; anticipates the next generation of technology.
• Sound communication skills: Able to clearly present information through the spoken or written word; reads and interprets complex information; conveys information effectively; listens well.
• Influence and persuasion ability: Able to convince others in both positive and negative circumstances; uses tact when expressing ideas or opinions; presents new ideas to authority figures; responds to objections successfully.
• Strategic planning ability: Able to demonstrate an understanding of the business marketplace and develop distinctive strategies to achieve and sustain a competitive advantage for the enterprise; anticipates strategic risks and develops appropriate contingencies and manageable action steps.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor degree in Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering or related field required, Master's degree a plus.
• Seven to ten years of prior experience working hands-on with electric transmission, distribution systems and SCADA required.
• Three to five years of previous metering experience preferred.
• Two to three years previous supervisory experience preferred.
• Previous SEL relay testing experience a plus.